Friday, May 18, 2012

My First Hearing

Yesterday was my first hearing. The subcommittee I worked for had a hearing on TANF spending (formerly known as welfare). It was interesting. If you want to read more about it: http://waysandmeans.house.gov/Calendar/EventSingle.aspx?EventID=294971
Otherwise I can just tell you about the mechanics of it. This is the committee room. Its beautiful. It was built in the 30s, and has been restored to its original splendor. The first time I walked into the room, geeked out...the history is palpable.
(I found all these pictures online)
Where the Congressmen sit



the far left of the rostrum you can make out a person...I sat there yesterday!
I've been helping with preparations for the hearing for the last couple of weeks, and it was interesting to see it all come together finally. I was in charge of the PowerPoint, changing the slides at the right times. After one minor snafu it went perfectly. The hearing was delayed by an hour because there were votes in the House, and the Representatives couldn't arrive to start the hearing until later. There were witnesses who were called on to testify about a loophole that the committee found in the State's requirement. 
I really enjoyed attending and I'm looking forward to the rest of the summer!





No comments:

Post a Comment